At Harvard Rd Dental Care, one of the lasers we are using is a soft tissue diode dental laser. Dental Lasers have many benefits and are very comfortable when in use. Lasers produce a highly focused light that can be used to manipulate soft tissues in the mouth. It can also be used for the cauterization of small blood vessels and lymphatics, therefore decreasing post-operative swelling and pain.
The soft tissue laser beam also has a natural sterilization effect—it evaporates bacteria, viruses and fungi, which leads to a decrease in local infections. Another great benefit of soft tissue lasers is the decrease in post-operative pain by sealing nerve endings. This is one thing that makes patients very happy.
If you suffer from repeated canker sores or cold sores, then the dental laser can treat these areas.
Cold sores can be treated during the prodromal symptoms (itching, burning, tingling, pain) or active stage.
The laser does three things to treat the lesion:
- Kills the viral particle and therefore stops the lesion from spreading and starts healing.
- Cauterizes nerve endings so you no longer feel pain.
- Biostimulation – speeds healing. Also shown to decrease recurrence in the same area.
Canker sores can be very painful and usually occurs when you are under a lot of stress. The goal of the laser is to treat the lesion and eliminate pain. Diode laser does this by:
- Cauterizes nerve endings therefore you no longer feel pain.
- Biostimulation – speeds healing.
Laser Assisted Dental Cleanings
At Harvard Rd Dental Care, the laser is used as an adjunct during cleanings as part of their Soft Tissue Management Program before scaling.
Three Main Benefits of Laser Assisted Dental Cleaning:
1. To reduce or eliminate bacteremias. During the normal cleaning process most patients will have some areas that may bleed, this allows bacteria that are present in all of our mouths to flood into the bloodstream and sometimes settle in weakened areas of our body such as a damaged heart valve or artificial knee or hip etc. We pre-medicate those patients that we know have a heart condition or artificial joints with antibiotics so that these bacteria can’t cause harm to these areas. Latest research shows that these oral pathogens have now been linked to a number of other diseases such as cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, low birth weight babies, diabetes etc. Needless to say anything that we can do to reduce or eliminate these bacteremias is a positive for our patients.
2. To prevent cross contamination of infections in one area of your mouth to other areas. Decontamination minimizes the chance that we may inadvertently pick up bacterial infection in one area of your mouth and move it to others.
3. To kill periodontal disease bacteria and stop their infections before they cause physical destruction or loss of attachment around your teeth.
Other uses of Soft Tissue Dental Laser:
- Biopsy and removal of benign oral tumors
- Abscessed tooth care
- Frenum release
- Exposing new teeth, including wisdom teeth, that are slow to come through gum tissue
- Treating overgrowth of gum tissue
- Exposed root desensitization
- Soft tissue curettage
- Implant recovery